Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bling by Tyler the Creator?

Here's a quote from Tyler the Creator in a Spin Magazine article on Pitchfork, he's talking about an upcoming release.

"Talking about rape and cutting bodies up, it just doesn't interest me anymore... What interests me is making weird hippie music for people to get high to. With Wolf, I'll brag a little more, talk about money and buying shit. But not like any other rapper, I'll be a smart-ass about it. Now it's just girls throwing themselves at me and shit, but I got a girl back home. People who want the first album again, I can't do that. I was 18, broke as fuck. On my third album, I have money and I'm hanging out with my idols. I can't rap about the same shit."

I thought this was interesting in relation to the Krista Thompson piece and hip hop in general... While I am glad he's not "talking about rape and cutting up bodies" any more, I think it's interesting that he goes straight to talking about money (bling?) and consumerism after gaining a larger audience. Was this pushed on him by a record label or was it an inherent choice? Does capitalism ruin all hip hop artists that gain critical or public success? (Not saying that this will ruin Tyler the Creator, because ethically I cannot support his music as it is right now)
Odd Future, is bling in their future?

No comments:

Post a Comment